Ballard writes:
Despite his estimable court vision, up until a year ago, James had trouble seeing certain things. Like, say, road signs.
[...] Thus during high school and his first five years in the NBA, James operated in something of a haze, which must make all the players who got torched by him feel great. Only James claims it never affected his game. "I could see everything on the court. I never had a problem with here" -- he holds his hands to the side of his head, indicating his peripheral vision -- "it was right here in front that I had the problem."
Then, a little over a year ago, James got Lasik surgery. Now, as he puts it, "it's kind of cool, because I can see stuff in the distance. I'm like, So that's what that is!
Pressed, he admits it's probably improved his on-court performance too, saying, "Well, I have gotten better."I thought LeBron, like all great players, would improve his game by refining his jump shot, or picking up his intensity on the defensive end. Both of which he's already well on his way toward accomplishing. I never thought, though, that he would get to the next level simply by addressing an easily correctable physical disadvantage. It's like he's been playing his entire career right-handed before finally realizing that he is, in fact, better with his left. Or that his vertical leap has been hindered somewhat by an undiagnosed bout of polio.
Is it really possible that the greatest player in the world is only now, in his fifth season in the league, finally operating at full capacity?
(Via TrueHoop)
No comments:
Post a Comment