Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Today's Knicks Sexual Harassment Story Brought to You by the Letter "E"

Not a good week for Eddy Curry. After pulling himself out of Sunday night's game against the Rockets, he gets nailed with this ridiculous sexual harassment suit from his former driver, David Kuchinsky, who claims Curry, on two separate occasions, exposed himself and told Kuchinsky "to look and to touch him," according to Kuchinsky's attorney. 

The suit also alleges Curry referred to Kuchinsky in racially offensive terms.

Curry denied the charges, presumably from the Knicks' bench, where he's been planted for all but 158 seconds this season. "This is absolutely false," he said. "It's incredible. I can't even believe it."

In Curry's defense, this sounds like total crap. Kuchinsky has been trying to extort money from Curry since late last year, when Curry fired Kuchinsky. Explains Curry:

He had approached my friends and me a while back trying to get money and stuff like that. I just never thought -- especially with the past that me and him had -- I never thought that it would go past where it did, which is idle threats; 'I want some money or else' kind of stuff. I guess it's just like a prime example of you just got to watch who you have around you. This is a guy who I really thought was my friend up until the last four or five months. I can't even believe this has happened.

Teammate Malik Rose put it even more succinctly: "I know for a fact Eddy’s not gay." 

Way to lend a hand, Malik. You're about as good a character witness as you are an on-the-ball defender. 

Still, Kuchinsky's lawsuit will probably go away, unlike Anucha Browne Sanders' very real sexual harassment charge against Isiah Thomas and Madison Square Garden, which cost Knicks owner James Dolan $11.5 million and helped put the final nail in Isiah's coffin. That, and the 56-109 record as head coach. And the $100 million salary cap.

If Donnie Walsh really did have an inkling to trade Curry, he has even more work cut out for him than I originally feared. Which team wants to add an overweight, unmotivated center who doesn't rebound or defend, with a sexual harassment suit hanging over his head?

“Eddy’s brand is tarnished forever,”said Rose. “People are always going to associate those words and those actions with him."

But he's totally not gay. 

No comments: