Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Punch-Out

I know it's hard to believe, but I never went through a video game phase. I was just never really into Nintendo or, the Capulet to its Montague, Sega Genesis. The way I like to remember it, I went from Little League straight to The Who, without passing Go, although there were probably more than a few wasted hours lost to this and, more embarrassingly, this. I do remember, though, suffering through hours of my friends playing "Mike Tyson's Punch-Out," which apparently still haunts some children of the 1980s. For those of you unfamiliar with the game, the premise was to beat a series of lesser opponents until you earned the right to take on the champ, Mike Tyson. It's still a good idea for a video game, and an even better idea for either a play or as a weird piece of performance art, whichever the case might be. 

No comments: