Monday, February 2, 2009

If He's the Boss, I Quit

This pains me to admit this, but Springsteen was incredibly lame last night. I was with him at the start, despite the contrived recreation of his iconic "Born to Run" album cover; "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out" was a great choice as an opener. I was with him, too, after the chicken fingers and guacamole comment. I stuck with him after his sliding crotch shot. And, of course, during his solid performance of "Born to Run." Not so much for the rest of the set, which featured an abbreviated version of his new single, "Working on a Dream," and an even hokier version of the hokey "Glory Days"-- complete with altered lyrics about football and Hail Mary passes. Then there was the flag-throwing referee, which was about as cool as a middle-age man hitting on a teenage girl. Or about as cool as a middle-age man calling out, "I'm going to Disneyland."

I'm afraid we've stumbled into a terrible new era of Springsteen: "Vegas Bruce."




No comments: