Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Reviews Are In

The Yankees just finished their first homestand at the new stadium. Like a lot of people, I've yet to make the trip up to the Bronx, although, from what I've seen on television, the stadium looks pretty good, if a bit excessive. Like a third arm. I'm not too concerned about the "alarming" number of home runs, but if it keeps up through June, I might start to grow nostalgic for the old digs. 

In the meantime, here's a quick summary of what the blogroll thinks of the new Yankee Stadium. The early reviews are decidedly mixed. 

The Good.
 
ASWOBA
I was impressed. (A full post of my photos can be found here.) At first, I have to admit that the whole thing seemed like too much. The comfortably cushioned seats are straight out of a new megaplex. The size and clarity of the video screen beyond the center-field wall is impossible to describe in words or even photos. You have to sit in the stadium to grasp how it dominates the field of vision, like a high-def spaceship hovering above the field, the aliens whistling and trying to look inconspicuous. That screen represents the general principle that the stadium is terrific but a lot. The concourses are very open-air, and reminded me of similar spaces in the new(ish) parks in Philadelphia and Houston, among other places. The areas surrounding the game are an enormous improvement from the old Y.S., where leaving your seat for food felt like traveling several miles from the stadium to a claustrophobic warehouse in need of industrial cleaning.
Mike A.:
Other than the PA system, the place was amazing. Monument Park seems a little too hidden, it would be nice to have it on full display as it was at the Old Stadium. The upper deck isn’t nearly as steep as it was across the street, and I like the look of the dark blue seats. I’m sure some people will bitch and moan about tiny little things, but overall the place is phenomenal. I look forward to watching baseball there for the rest of my life.
The bad. 

YFSF:
The Yanks went 4-2 in their first homestand at the new ballpark, but the headlines are almost all negative. CC Sabathia and Chien-Ming Wang are struggling, homers are flying at an alarming pace, and—most urgently—attendance has been pathetic, especially in the highly visible premium seats and the luxury suites that were the very reason for building the place. Our grade on the first week: D-
New Yankee Stadium is all about exclusion. Throughout the stadium, intermingled with the broad concourses and seating sections, are exclusive areas. There are restaurants that cater only to people who are ticketed for those sections. Get to close and an overanxious security guard will eye you suspiciously while awaiting a ticket stub to confirm that, yes, you actually do belong here.
And the ugly.

Fack Youk:
They say the New Stadium is quieter than the Old one. The "asshole" chants in the bleachers for Sox & Mets fans are pretty loud.

No comments: