Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Drip, Drop

Michael Phelps has a way with words. The Olympic gold medalist, pitchman and reported skirt chaser told "60 Minutes" correspondent Anderson Cooper that his record-breaking display at the 2008 Summer Games almost didn't come to pass because, after shattering six world records, he got a little tired
"I got nothing left," he remembers telling coach Bob Bowman after the 200-meter individual medley, according to an excerpt from his interview scheduled for Sunday's "60 Minutes" on CBS. 
Phelps, though, did have enough in the tank to set an Olympic record in his next race, the 100-meter butterfly, which he won by one one-hundredth of a second, and, on the following day, a world record in the men's 4 x 100-meter medley relay. 

I don't doubt that Phelps was pretty beat up before, at that point, his fifteenth race in eight days, but to announce this, three months later, isn't particularly newsworthy or, for that matter, illuminating. It's like saying winning 8 gold medals is, you know, hard. 

Still, I can't really blame Phelps for not revealing more. He's probably just saving all the details for his new book.     

No comments: