He writes:
"It is time for a sale. Selling even some western land could raise hundreds of billions of dollars - perhaps trillions of dollars - for the Federal government at a time when the funds are badly needed and no one wants to raise taxes. At the same time, a sale of western land would improve the efficiency of land allocation."
Who would even be in a position to buy the land, especially now, several years after the land's worth has already depreciated significantly? The Saudis? China?
Welcome to Reno, a joint subsidiary of the Saudi Arabian Government and the People’s Republic of China.
I’m being glib, I realize. I’m sure there is some economic or academic merit to this argument that I’m incapable of seeing. (Full disclosure: I have little experience dealing with bills of higher denominations than 20). Still, you’d have to admit that Tabarrok’s idea has even less of a chance of becoming a reality than Ron Paul’s famous call to disband NASA.
No comments:
Post a Comment